Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

DIY: Diaper Cake and Cupcake Washcloths

My sister is well known for her beautiful diaper cakes, so I knew that I had to make one for her shower. The only problem was that I had never made a diaper cake before! It was going to be a big challenge. My mother and I came up with the idea of making a diaper cake and matching washcloth cupcakes.

Black and pink diaper cake


As a base, I used a dollar store platter, then taped a paper towel roll standing up in the center to have something sturdy to build the cake around. The shower theme was pink and black so I wrapped each layer of diapers with coordinating fabric to hide the white and yellow diapers.



I didn't want to glue anything to the "cake" so that all the diapers would still be useable. So to attach the Gerber daisies, I left the stems about 2 - 3 inches long and carefully stuck them down into the diapers. The lace on the bottom of the cake is glued to the platter itself. The ribbons around the layers of the cake are carefully tucked into the diapers to hold them in place.

I made a large bow out of the ribbon to decorate the top of the cake and secured it with sewing pins. Then as a finishing touch I added rhinestones to several of the flowers and to the bow on top.



The washcloths were a much easier job. We used the tutorial over at The Scrap Shoppe Blog and they turned out perfectly!

The best part was the comments I got when I walked into the shower with the cake! Lots of oohs and ahhs but some people didn't realized it was a diaper cake and I could overhear the puzzled comments. My favorite was, "How do you eat it?"

I'm linking up at my favorite parties.

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Super cute, Andi! Thanks for letting me know you used my tutorial. Your diaper cake is AH-Mazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are darling! And this is the second time today I've "found" myself at a blog post with fabric cupcakes! Must be a trend ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute, and the cupcakes are so so adorable! Great job! I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! My friends are having babies so I need great gift ideas. I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award, so if you could just pop on over to my blog to look at the rules that would be great. Thanks and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, your diaper cake looks really cute! I've never seen a cake with that many colors! The cupcakes look nice as well

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the colors you put on your diaper cake.

    ReplyDelete